Archive for September, 2009
My topic will be the United Sates Sanitary Commission, but I will not just be discussing broad details about this. I will try to narrow my focus to discussing specific things about the commission. One of the main things I will be discussing is the purposes of the Sanitary Commission during the war, some of the ways in which they operated as well as effects after the war and some of the things which The Sanitary Commisson helped create.
My topic is the United States Sanitary Commission and these are three ideas for questions that I will answer in my paper:
1) What were the main purposes of the commission
2) Why was it created
3) How did it operate during the war
1) The source is the author Louisa May Alcott. She was a woman who lived in the late 1800’s and served as a volunteer nusre in the civil war and this boook describes her experiences serving as a nurse.
2) Half of the book was compiled a few years after the civil was over and the rest was published several months later.
3) Louisa May Alcott composed the source during her time serving as a nurse for the Union Army. She wrote the letters back home while she was serving.
4) Louisa May Alcott was born in 1832 and died in 1888. She was a well known novelist who was best known for Little Women. While she was serving in the Civil War as a nurse, she contracted typhoid fever and later died due to mercury poisinig.
5) The source was composed while the action was taking place during the civil war. She was writing the letters home while the action was happening.
6) Since my paper is based on the sanitary commission, this will be a great source for my paper. I will be discussing the creation and purposes of the Sanitary Comission and this will be a great souce when describing some of the everyday jobs describing the commission
7) One problem that I can forsee using this source for my paper is that some of the information was published a few months after the war was over and it was not done by Louisa May Alcott so it might not be as relaible.
One primary source that I will be using for my paper is titled Hospital Sketches, by Louisa May Alcott. This comprises many different moments during her time serving as a nurse for the union army during the Civil War. She published half of the sketches right after her time as a nurse and the rest were compiled a fer months later. This will be a great source regarding the sanitary commission because it is coming from someone who actually took care of the soldiers during the war.